NO COMPUTERS AT COLINTON SURGERY 24-26 SEPTEMBER
As part of a NHS Lothian wide project there will be a major upgrade to our computer system, in the week commencing 24 September.
From 1400 Monday 24th to Wednesday 26th September (24-26/9) there will be:
- Emergency appointments only
- No booking of any other appointments
- No access to electronic medical records
- No access to results of tests
- No processing of prescriptions
We hope to have normal service resumed on Thursday, but this cannot be guaranteed and ongoing disruption is possible. We apologise for this inconvenience and request your understanding during this time.
PLEASE ORDER YOUR PRESCRIPTIONS AND BOOK ANY APPOINTMENTS IN THE PREVIOUS WEEK 18-21 SEPTEMBER.
APOLOGIES FOR PHONE MESSAGE FAILURE ON MONDAY 17 SEPTEMBER.
The surgery was closed for a Public Holiday yesterday and a phone message should have indicated this, but for this did not occur and we are aware that this failure caused considerable inconvenience and anxiety for which Colinton Surgery apologises. We have now instituted a back up procedure to ensure that this never occurs again. The closure was stated on our website, but in amongst other information. We have been operating normally today, but apologise sincerely for this significant error.
FLU VACCINATION AUTUMN CLINICS – OCTOBER 18
Drop in clinics for flu vaccinations for those entitled will take place on the following dates:
ADULTS (see notes 1 and 2 below)
Date (all 1200 -1400) Surnames beginning with:
Tues 9 Oct A - H
Thurs 11 Oct I – McM
Tues 16 Oct McN - R
Thurs 18 Oct S- Z
Tues 30 Oct Catch up
These clinics are for:
1. All patients over 65 years of age on 31/3/19. Patients over 75 will be offered a new vaccine this year, but due to limited supplies this will be delivered in stages. If we run out of stock a further flu clinic will be arranged and advertised on our website.
2. Any patient 18 - 65 who is in an at risk clinical group. eg chronic respiratory, heart, kidney, liver or neurological disease, asplenic/spleen dysfunction; reduced immunity due to disease or treatment; diabetes and asthma (only if on steroid inhalers), with a BMI greater than 40. Also if pregnant or an unpaid carer. (For specific details of eligibility if required contact the surgery).
Fri 5 Oct 1400 – 1700 A- L
Fri 12 Oct 1400 – 1700 M - Z
3. All children between 2 and 5 (born between 2/9/2013 and 1/9/2016) who are not yet at school
4. Any child 6 months – 2 or 12-18 who is in an at risk clinical group. eg chronic respiratory, heart, kidney, liver or neurological disease, asplenic/spleen dysfunction; reduced immunity due to disease or treatment; diabetes and asthma (only if on steroid inhalers), with a BMI greater than 40, or an unpaid carer.
Note. Where possible please come on your allocated day (see above). If you are unable to attend during your allocated day please attend any of the other dates except for 9 October clinic which is particularly busy. Thank you. Please do not arrive before 1200 and you are likely to be processed quicker if you arrive later.
TEXT MESSAGING SERVICE .We now offer this service and patients who have given consent on the appropriate form (see below) will receive a text message reminder.
To join the texting service.
If you ‘opt in’ to this service you will be sent a reminder prior to your appointment. If you wish to cancel please contact the surgery.
If you have certain specific chronic diseases you may also (starting in the future, date tbc) be sent a text asking you to contact the surgery to make a review appointment. Other messages relating to individual patients may also be developed.
To receive texts every patient will need to ‘opt in’ by providing an up to date mobile phone number and written consent to receive text messages for Colinton Surgery. If you are 16 or over please complete one of the forms available below and at Reception and hand it in to Reception.
text message consent form 1217
Mobile phone numbers given must only relate to one patient. No text will be sent to children under 16 in case a parent’s mobile phone number has been given for that child.
It is extremely important to inform us of any change of mobile phone number or loss of phone so appointment details are not sent to an unauthorised person. Just contact Reception to inform us.
We hope that this will be an important improvement to our service. If you have any questions about it just ask at Reception.
No routine phone calls Tuesdays 1245 - 1315.
As a change to procedures we will now be closed to routine phone calls 1245 - 1315 every Tuesday to allow time for staff training. If you have an emergency select option 1, otherwise please phone back after 1315. Thank you.
Travel vaccinations - unable to provide these if less than 6 weeks before departure.
We always advise to contact us at least 8 weeks before travel as you may need a series of vaccinations at a set frequency. If you have less than 6 weeks before the date of departure we do not have the resources to provide the appropriate vaccinations and you are advised to contact a private specialist travel clinic.
Scottish Bowel Screening Programme
The Practice is promoting the Scottish Bowel Screening Programme. Patients between the ages of 50 to 74 will be invited for screening every two years.
Click here for more details
Chip and PIN debit card reader
We now have one installed to take payments from all cards except Solo.